Courtesy of Charlotte Knox of Knox Education. Thanks Charlotte!
Pineapple Beef Stir-Fry
This is a delicious way to enjoy the lean strips of Freestone Beef cuts such as carne asada, velvet steak, top round, Swiss steak, or fajita strips.
Ingredients for 4-6 servings:
- 1 pound Freestone Ranch Beef. Slice in thin strips (easier to do when partially frozen)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic and 2 Tb fresh chopped ginger
- Ground pepper and a splash of soy sauce
- 1 ½ -2 cups cubed fresh pineapple (or drained canned without sugar syrup)
- ½ sliced onion
- Assorted veggies of your choosing—wedged fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, snow peas, thin-sliced carrots, etc.
Easy version: mix your favorite teriyaki sauce with a bit of catsup and hot sauce of your choosing
More work but delish:
- 2 T chopped fresh ginger
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- ¼ cup soy sauce or Tamara
- 2 TB hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup sherry, mirin, or orange juice
- 2-3 TB toasted seseme seeds
- ¼ cup water + 2 tsp of corn starch
Whisk this together before you start the stir-fry, so it’s ready to go.
- Prepare the beef: Slice it, set it in a bowl and toss with garlic, ginger, pepper and a splash of soy sauce.
- Prep your stir fry vegetables and pineapple, then arrange on a board so they are ready to go.
- Make the sauce of your choice
- Heat 1 TB of high heat oil on wok ( grape seed, peanut, canola), add the beef mixture and stir fry for a minute or two, beef should still be pinkish. Scoop back to bowl to stop cooking.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of oil to same wok and stir fry vegetables and pineapple. Start with onions and pineapple to start caramelization, then add in other vegetables in order of cook time
- Lower heat to medium, return beef to pan, add sauce, then stir fry briefly until everything is sauced.
- Serve with rice, and optional toppings: toasted peanuts or cashews, hot sauce, fresh cilantro etc.